All members of the Food Bank team are volunteers who give their time to help meet the needs of the people / clients who use Food Bank. The foodbank is open every Friday between 10 am and 12 noon at the Okehampton Baptist Church and a few volunteers are also needed to help with the warehouse on Thursday afternoons.
Due to the voluntary nature of the work you have the freedom to choose when you help and how often. However the Food Bank Team works best if volunteers are prepared to help regularly and consistently. This ensures that our clients receive the best possible care and service.
New volunteers are asked to come along for three weeks to meet other volunteers, observe what takes place and help in various supervised ways. After three weeks you will be in a position to know if being a Food Bank volunteer is right for you, and if so how you will best fit into the Food Bank Team.
New volunteers, after the first three weeks, will be requested to complete online forms for a DBS check, (‘Disclosure and Barring Check’) to confirm that you are safe to work with vulnerable adults.
We currently have about twelve volunteers who are working with us. Roles include :
- Date checking of donated food
- Packing and carrying food from the warehouse
- Administrative tasks – writing thank you letters/etc
- Volunteer coordinator
- Delivering parcels (in pairs)
- Making tea and coffee for volunteers and clients
- Helping with the school meals replacement scheme that operates at additional times
- Checking dates on donations on Thursday afternoons and moving stock around
- Collecting food donations from supermarkets and taking food parcels to the Ockment Centre
If you are interested in volunteering then please get in touch by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Oxfam shop in Okehampton is also currently looking for volunteers and they can be contacted via: email@example.com